Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Whats there to hate.

Dang... I love this s t u f f....

You have to love engineering and electronics to want to tweek in the audio arena.

I do love this so. Like Patton loved a battle. Like Einstein loved to inquire. Like Darwin loved to describe what he saw in nature.

Gray long tube GE's are just so awesome at detail I could not believe it. Really world class detail. Unfortunately I run silver solid core wire in my tonearm leads to preamp, throughout my preamp, and in all my interconnects. So any high frequency shift is now recreated as a high frequency nightmare. If I was all copper, who knows I might be a fat and happy pig right now......LOL

So the GE's sound so supreme but lose the timbral accuracy all together.

I totally agree with you that I need to start with the best 6DJ8 I can obtain. Cost is not an object here. I have over a grand invested in the preamp. And it sounds better than any Krell, Levinson or Classe Pre Amp I sold at thousands more. So what is a hundred or two to get this right.

I think your feelings are dead on accurate. Get the 6DJ8 settled and then listen again and make some final tube rolling changes.

I guess I was not expecting the variation on the sound I experienced last night. Such a stark and completely different sound was expressed by each of the three manufacturer's tubes I had on hand to evalutate. Mitigated of course by the contribution, or lack of, from the questionable 6DJ8 tube I am running up front.

This really is so much fun. The agony and the ecstasy is just a way to communicate how close I am to having it all. Great timbral accuracy. Detailed bass, midrange and upper mid range and crystal clear highs. When I have it all then I will be satisfied. Until then I am having fun doing all the ABX stuff to achieve nirvana.

Cheers!

By the way I think your responses to my posts have been AWESOME! Thanks for the fellowship!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Whats there to hate. - tubesforever 08:46:18 06/19/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.