Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I think I smell a rat and would like your thoughts gentlemen

I have a friend who has a pair of VTL 80 monoblock amps. I take it to mean they are rated at 80 watts per channel. This is accomplished with a 12at7 voltage amp--->12at7 long tailed pair to a quad of PPP 6L6's. Bias point is 28ma per tube. It is claimed the amp runs AB1 tetrode mode but may be operated in triode mode at the same bias point with no changes and if done so will operate in class A.

Does anyone else feel this is impossible...at least without exceeding the tube's rating?

Looking at a current production amp, the tiny triode, they claim 40 watts out of a quad of EL84's in PPP and if triode strapped that same quad of EL84's in PPP will deliver 25 watts. That might not quite as far fetched as the 6L6 amp above but it also seems unlikely to me.

So what do you guys think? False advertising? Operating points well above the tubes rating? That I am crazy and don't know how to read tube specs?

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - I think I smell a rat and would like your thoughts gentlemen - Russ57 07:14:18 06/16/05 (33)

You can not post to an archived thread.