Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I wanna tube! Please advise

"You can imagine that if you drive a second tube with an amplified signal, you will even further amplify that signal."

I can see this being the case. It just seems that the first stage APM'd signal should go to the cathode and not the grid....the grid input just seems to be a modulation signal (thereby not needing to be a strong signal). This is what confuses me.

"Another thing is that not all tubes are designed for amplification. For example, output tubes usually don't have great amplification factor but are capable of conducting fairly high current that can be routed through an OPT. Therefore, all amplification has to be done before that stage."

Now this sheds a LOT of light on things! This is something I can wrap my mind around. Is this what is happening with so many of the SET designs where there are only two tubes in the circuit?

"I am sorry, if I keep confusing you."

NO! hehe...you're doing great! I seem to be the one confusing myself, if anyone :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.