Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I wanna tube! Please advise

Jenya:

Thanks for the response. Speaking of headphones, my primary listening is in fact done with cans. This is also the reason I've expressed interest is building a tube preamp vs. a tube poweramp...I can use the preamp as a headphone amp ;) ...well, that and thinking maybe it would be cheaper for whatever reason.

What you say about designing your own for less than kits...this is kinda the reason I was asking some of my questions; I don't want to buy a kit that sux.

I've been pouring over everything that I can find online regarding tube amp operation (and tube operation itself!) and have come to an early conclusion that I want to start off with a SET amp. The weird thing I seem to be seeing is that they all are basically the same circuit. It's doesn't appear that there are too many ways of designing an SET. And if this is indeed the case, then it would be a no brainer to just make one and then tweak it via better componetry and minor circuit mods. I mention this because it seems to contradict the idea of 'designing a better one' vs. the kits. If there are few ways to design it, then improving on the kits would be hard to do.........I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this poin t so I'll stop with that idea.

The one thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is the multiple tube stages that I see in most schematics. I understand the input stage, but then the plate goes right into the grid of the next stage on so on. What exactly is the purpose of this?

Oh, I've got a copy of "Beginners Guide To Tube Audio Design" from OCSL on its way to me now ;) Hoping it will shed some more light on things.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.