Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I wanna tube! Please advise

I am pretty much SS ingnorant, but with tubes the manufacturers sometimes use different metals and configurations in the internal structures of the same tube type. There can be a big difference in the tone of a Amperex tube compared to an RCA in the same family. And then there are the differences in the years that a particular company might have produced the same basic tube. Not sure if there are these kinds of differences in the SS world. There are all kinds of variants for some of the generic identifications, military/computer/low noise. This accounts for the seemingly crazy numbering scheme for tubes. Then there are some that have similar electrical characteristics and can drop in with very minor changes, and sometimes none, in the circuit. I'm guessing there is a parallel in SS stuff.

Check out Joe's Tube Lore in the FAQ section of the Asylum-http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Gotta run and actually do some work but here's a look at what you might be able to do, given your level of experience, if opt for the Foreplay kit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.