In Reply to: copper cap rectifier posted by jerry on October 30, 2001 at 01:56:00:
I have a pair of the WZ34s, which is Weber's replacement for the 5AR4 rectifier, and I've used them in Welborne Laurel 300B IIX amps.
They sound, well, "sandy" :)
I felt that their shortcomings outweighed the benefits. There was definitely more "weight" to the music using these, and they add emphasis to very loud, aggressive rock - particularly in the bass and lower midrange. On the other hand the music loses all the delicacy and clarity that an all valve system has and also seemed to lose some top end detail.
It was an interesting experiment (and not an expensive one), but in the end I thought that the best use of these guys would be as replacement parts for guitar amps. If you have the dollars to spare I'd recommend putting the money towards a pair of nice NOS rectifiers instead.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - copper cap rectifier - jerry 01:56:00 10/30/01 (6)
- Re: copper cap rectifier - TG 14:57:25 10/30/01 (3)
- THANKS !! - jerry 21:24:22 10/30/01 (0)
- Re: copper cap rectifier - Eli Duttman 18:33:40 10/30/01 (0)
- Re: copper cap rectifier - Anand 16:06:43 10/30/01 (0)
- Re: copper cap rectifier - David McGown 02:21:19 10/30/01 (1)
- Re: thanks for your comments david - jerry 05:07:36 10/30/01 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.