Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Allen Wright's Pre-Amps

Ronace,
I have too built Allen's FVP5 preamp (complete, i.e. phono + line). Note that this version I have built is not the FVP5A, in which triode sections of 6922 are used above and below output cathode follower stage. The previous version I built uses MOSFETs instead - the FVP5A should be better.
The preamp is incredibly excellent, especially the phono stage is the best I have heard (not heard many though). I built this preamp from scratch, not only because it costed much less than the kit, but also beacause I'm a DIY addict and I like to take the journey of building a project all the way long, from designing my own layout, to finding the best components I can afford and designing the case to my own taste. At the end, it was a great classroom completing this project and I learned a lot. For the Super Regulator (which I think is a must if you want to get full benefit from this preamp), I ordered it as a kit from Allen - it's cheap anyway and its contribution to the preamp's performance is essential. It's 1 1/2 year now that I'm using it and never had to readjust anything.
For the future, I'm planning to built his RTP3C preamp - a fully differential design from input to output. This is highly acclaimed and I'm sure this will be the last preamplifier I will ever build.
IMHO, Allen is great and I surely can say that I trust every design he has put. Be sure also to get and read his Tube Preamplifier Cook Book. I learned a lot from this.
Evan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.