Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Standard Chinese 845 vs Valve Art 845

Hi,

I've seen a few people ask questions about the difference between these 2 valves and last night I was able to listen to a pair of each so I thought I would just pass on the results.

The valves look the same internally but when I gave the Chinese 845 a light shake (I mean very light) you can feel something moving inside the valve, most likely the graphite plate - in fact one of my chinese 845 rattles. The Valve Arts don't do this. So based on a sample of 2.... This seems to back up Valve Art's claim that they have changed the way the plate is attached to the support rods.

Now does this translate to better sound. Well they sound very similar to the standard Chinese 845 but they do sound better. In short the Valve Arts are more refined, have a better sound stage and have a little bit better bass. Its not a huge difference but they are better.

Cheers,
Anthony

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Standard Chinese 845 vs Valve Art 845 - Anthony Dockrill 18:59:24 01/24/04 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.