Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: re: will freezing improve sound?

"Deep freezing treatment to metals has been a bigtime business for decades, in automobile, power transmission, telecom, aerospace, etc,
to improve their performance. 3M, for example, established superconductivity in high purity aluminum in its deep freezing process."
I think ageing by freezing (common aluminium treatment) and superconductivity by keeping it cold is two quite different things…

"Why deep-freezing improves sound? Most solid materials are made from
its liquid form through a shocking process. This process results the solid structure in a very irregular & irratic lattice, quite different
from its orginal natural lattice layout. It is this deviation exerting the unwanted 'residual stress' across the lattice structure. In simple layman's language, the molecules are 'dislocated'."
And the atoms and crystalline structure (or whatever present strukture) are more free to "relocate" itself by heat, atoms and its parts are more free to move when energized . which is the same thing as heat. In a freezed state the "dislocations" are more probable to remain. Anealin by freezing is a quite odd concept, though other properties may reached.

"Enechoic sonic measurement shows the focus servo current of the
CD player under test peaks bigtime at around 800Hz, causing the CD
resonates with it. "
Wouldn't the proper solution be to change time constants in the servo. It's a bit philosophical but i do insist that the problem should be solved instead of being hidden…

"IMO, cryo or deep-freeze help improve sounds."
If you take a tour in the TubeAA you'll se a lot of "humble opinions" which over time seems to contradict each other…

mvh /Pär

p.s
No doubt deep freezing changes things - but is it the straightest way to get the result? or are the results the best possible given time/cost (C/B)?
Even reheating the solder on a "boom box" will improve sound, but tossing it into the bin and get real would probably be better in a cost/benefit analysis…
d.s
---------------------
Me fail english, thats unpossible!
---------------------

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.