Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I think I hold the record for stupid hum problems

I remember the cellphone prrrpppp blu blu blu blerppp.

An early V1505 breadboard that near enough filled my dining room and a hum I couldnt trace. Music sounds so much better when everything quiet, no industry, early hours of morning, maybe only the occasionally fridge freezer motor, but otherwise the best time to listen to music. I turned the lights off, listened to radio 3 FM not digital. In seventh heaven except for this hum.

Had a neptune potted choke, as the lights were off, I saw even through the pot (probably must have arced and burned a pinhole to see arc, not visible with lights on or daylight.) Might have saved my life turning the lights off. Power supply was a Boat Anchore 3kvct about a foot by a foot by a foot in domentions and almost my body weight with two big eyelets for crane lifting. The transformer wasnt the issue but the potential for it to provide fuel to the fire was life threatening.

My advise: just be satisfied with 45's 10y's 2a3's, and just because a choke or transformer is potted does not mean its not the cause of a house fire or at least hum!

Edits: 01/03/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think I hold the record for stupid hum problems - Paul Barker 22:11:30 01/03/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.