Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

LTP VS Differential Amplifier

"I thought I saw justification for different output presented with grounded grid to grounded cathode gain."

Sorry, it's not clear to me what you mean by that. Nevertheless, based on your discussion with cpotl, I believe you're saying that other than the difference in gain between grounded cathode and grounded grid, there's no significant effect on the circuit when V2 is driven at its grid instead of its cathode. You're saying that the mechanism is the same.

"It comes down to there being no difference in reaction if the grids are driven balanced or if one side is fed no signal."

When V2 is driven at its grid, the circuit becomes a balanced, differential amplifier, and many things change. Primarily, rather than inverting the phase between the two triodes, the circuit merely repeats the two-phased signal presented at the grids, inverting both of them. The circuit is no longer actually a phase splitter. As a result, the AC signal voltage at the common cathodes falls to near zero, and this in turn, removes most of the current imbalance between the two triodes previously caused by current diverted through Rk. All in all, this is a very different scenario from the original purpose and function of the LTP.

Edits: 06/16/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.