Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I don't think so, not if you have a good CCS

The advantage here is that a differential amplifier has only a cubic non-linearity to express, rather than the higher distortion quadratic non-linearity of a single-ended circuit. In a nutshell if you have differential circuits from input to output (and power tubes can be differential too) then distortion does not compound as much from stage to stage as much since even orders are canceled.

That leaves the 3rd as the dominant distortion product and it gets the same treatment as the 2nd (IOW nearly inaudible). But is has the same valuable property of masking the higher orders, which won't be as high amplitude to start with.

So you wind up with a circuit that sounds just as smooth and organic as SET, but with inherently lower distortion, so more detailed and smoother than SET. This is easy to hear- its not subtle. Easy to measure too, and confirms the math on paper- when all three happen at the same time its very real.

Edits: 06/15/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I don't think so, not if you have a good CCS - Ralph 13:19:53 06/15/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.