Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Cathodyne VS LTP

My current amp project is poised to use an EF86 driving a 6C4 cathodyne (1/2 12AU7). I've been comparing the 6C4 in this mode to a 6J6 as a long tail pair, and the results in SPICE have been surprising. The 6J6 is pretty clean regarding distortion, even when the outputs are pushed to 60V p-p (the approximate level needed to achieve full output from the 5881s). The spectrum looks pretty typical, with 2nd and 3rd harmonics fairly similar and higher frequency energy decaying quickly. The 6C4 cathodyne, on the other hand, doesn't fare so well. The 2nd and 3rd are pretty well controlled, but there's a lot of energy popping up at the 4th, 5th and 6th. Even the 7th looks as though it might be audible. I don't rely on SPICE as a primary tool for distortion analysis, but I hadn't expected to see anything like this. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with the 6J6 as a LTP, and what your impressions (or measurements) have been. It would be easy to change the topology at this point, and the additional gain afforded by the LTP compared to the cathodyne would come in handy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Cathodyne VS LTP - Triode_Kingdom 14:07:58 04/30/21 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.