Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: an additional case

The big weakness in the Dyna ST-70 is the rectifier not the power tubes. If the amp is run at high power on an on-going basis, the rectifier simply isn't rated to handle it.

If you replace the rectifier, the voltages aren't good- you really do need its voltage drop to be there.

They really should have used dual rectifiers but price and size were constraints. So you have the case where even the best rectifier you can find will be the first tube to fail in this circuit.

The rectifier diode setup is nice for that reason.

Alternatively Triode Electronics of Chicago makes a drop in replacement power transformer that allows for dual rectifiers. You have to find an alternative filter capacitor arrangement but these days that's not hard. So you can used the filter can location for the second rectifier in parallel with the first. In this case the rectifiers will hold up much better.

The funny thing about this to me is it would have been cheaper and as effective to make a drop in power transformer that simply was designed for solid state rectification and got you the right voltages when so used. But I think they may have been concerned about loosing the controlled warmup of the 5AR4.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: an additional case - Ralph 10:59:56 04/27/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.