Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Bakelite Sockets

The dimensions on these are something of a problem. There's only about 0.090" between the top of the mounting ears and the top of the socket. The head of a pan head phillips is typically 0.097" thick. This means that, even if the socket is mounted on top of the chassis with nothing adding to the thickness of the ears, the tube bases will rest on the top of the screws, not the socket.

For bottom mounting, only a flat head screw flush with the chassis would work. The problem here has to do with the spacing between the mounting holes and the socket cutout. A typical #6 flat head is about 0.26" diameter. When I look at this on paper, countersinking the hole to that size almost breaks out into the socket cutout. It's too close to actually machine it.

The only solution I see (other than rivets) is the use of thinner screws and top mounting. The flanged button head screws would work, they're 0.073" thick, but they're also much more expensive than anything else. In fact, the cost to use a pair of these is more than twice what I paid for the sockets themselves. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet until I come up with a better way to use these.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bakelite Sockets - Triode_Kingdom 09:25:04 04/18/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.