Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

7199 VS 6AN8

I'm starting a project that involves moving a manufacturer's circuit to a new chassis. It's a straight stereo power amplifier that originally used a 7199 driving a pair of 6L6 types in each channel. I want to maintain the original component values as much as possible, but have decided to ditch the 7199. It's simply becoming too scarce, especially NOS.

I'm looking at several options, including breaking out the two sections of the 7199 as separate tubes in each channel. It's not difficult to find near-exact performance doing it this way. Another option among tubes that have a history of use for hi-fi (rather than TV) would be the 6AN8.

The 6AN8 seems to be more widely available than the 7199, and the specifications don't seem to indicate a downside as a substitute. It's not absolutely identical, but I think it's use as a pentode driving a cathodyne inverter would not require changing the original circuit values.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has made this change to existing gear in order to move away from the 7199, and whether you had any issues. I'll add that I've seen a few 6AN8 tubes that were microphonic, but I don't know how widespread this is. If that's a common trait, I would want to move on to something else.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - 7199 VS 6AN8 - Triode_Kingdom 13:34:28 03/14/21 (35)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.