Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Tube of the month: 6883B/8552

The value of 35 watts quoted was ICAS, a better CCS value is 27 watts. (I've been tripped up on that before). Having said that, the 6883B is rated for 33% increase in power handling over the original 6883/A. I've tried both, and the 6883B does sound better.

The amps have the following characteristics: The front end has a 6BL7 driver, which also has a MOSFET connected to regulate the tube. The phase splitter tube is also a 6BL7 tube. The front end design was provided by a friend, who told me that the design was proprietary, but allowed me to use it. The power tubes have 600 volts on the plate, and the screen voltage is 250 volts.

The power transformer has separate windings for the driver/phase splitter tubes, power tubes, screen supply, and separate filament supplies for the driver and power tubes. The filaments are all DC. The power transformer is made by Heyboer. There is also separate chokes for the front end tubes and power section.

The amp uses 1 watt PRP resistors in the audio circuits, and the coupling caps are Mundorf Silver/Gold.

The audio output transformer is rated for 120 watts, 6.6K center tap, has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm set of taps. The transformer was made by Heyboer.

Very happy with the result. I also have a pair of monoblocks that use a quad of 1625 tubes with the same front end, and the two amps sound fairly similar. The 8552 amps sound slightly better, but not quite as much power.
" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

Edits: 03/16/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.