Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Kelvin Capacitors and Grounding

Thanks for the quick reply!

This will not be a switched mode supply, and it will operate from a 60Hz source. I believe Morgan Jones hails from England and works with linear supplies at 50Hz, so mine should not be significantly different from what he shows in his book--at least within the context of your reply.

It was my intent to place the star ground/chassis connection after the LCLC smoothing, just prior to the shunt regulator. This will keep all the ground lines shorter (although it does lengthen the ground wire connection from the AC power input).

Can you explain the reason why a 50Hz or 60Hz source makes it OK to connect the two negative leads of a Kelvin cap together?

Maybe I'm just dense, (a possibility) but I don't see how I can keep the four wires of a Kelvin cap separate unless everything on one side of the cap is floating and ungrounded. As soon as I establish a ground on each side of the cap, I'll create a return path and lose the separation of the two Kelvin terminals on the negative side of the cap.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.