Tube DIY Asylum

lesson learned-don't try to be too tricky!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

For the past week or so I have been trying to get a 6dj8 to work in place of the 12a7 that can be used in the attached schem as a substitute for the 6n1p. Why was I doing this? Because I had 6 volts available with the psu I was used from another amp and did not want to add a nother filament transformer. After days of trying it finally dawned on me that I had a nice little 12vac to 12vdc solid state transformer left over from a previous project tha tshould work just fine. Soooooo, I changed everything back to the original design this afternoon and evening and now it is playing very nicely thank you. Sometimes we just try too hard.
By the way, this is a very easy and straight foreward project if you just build it as designed, with lots of gain. Cheap too. And I do love the sound of the 6bq5. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me. I did learn a lot, even if it was a bit frustrating at times trying to get things into spec. By following the original design everything is right close to what it should be now. I think I will go ahead and make this one one of my permanent amps and that way I will have both a 6bq5 triode connected PP and a 26/26/45 SET amp for my main system.

Follow Ups: