Tube DIY Asylum

RE: Has anyone else tried this experiment?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

For what it's worth, I was not saying that you said the switch was not transparent. I was saying that nothing you've told us constitutes proof that the switch IS transparent, except for your assertion that it is. In fact, your report suggests that one possible explanation for your findings is that the switch imposes a subtle coloration that obscures any significant differences in the sound of your amplifiers. But I do admit this is only one possibility.

However, any switch has a finite contact resistance, a power rating, and an inherent capacitance. Any of these qualities could be having an effect on what you are hearing.

I suggest that you take the switch out of the signal path, and just listen over the course of a week or two to each of the two amplifiers, one at a time. I would bet that you will emerge from that experience with a clear preference of one amplifier over the other. Short term sonic memory is not required to figure this out.

Follow Ups: