Tube DIY Asylum

final update ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I listened to both amps for several hours last night and a couple of hours this morning with all different kinds of music. All I can say is that with the volumes carefully balanced I could not hear any difference between them except a little stronger bass on the 6bq5 amp. When I pushed the button to switch amps, if I had not seen myself make the change I would not have known it had been made. There was no audible difference. This was not what I had expected when I set up this experiment, but it does match the results I got one other time with two different amps. Not exactly the same setup, but the same principle. I kind of think it is the fact that they are both SE amps that is the main reason.
I have also read in several places that in blind testing of amps most people can not tell one amp from another. Going to have to test that theory, so I am going to build one of these 6bq5 amps to use in my system and dismantle the 813 for parts. Then I will build a simple PP amp (6v6 maybe?) and do the same test between the two of them and see what happens. If I don't hear any difference then I think I will be upset, because it will mean I have been chasing a rainbow all these years. Then again, maybe not, because it sure has been a lot of fun.

Edits: 06/08/17

Follow Ups: