Tube DIY Asylum

update 2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Well I got it all put together as you can see in the photos. The resistors (10 ohms/30 watts) on each set of speaker terminals seem to work ok. I played them both for about half an hour this evening and did not encounter any problems. I used a rat shack switcher unit with the output going to my altec granadas. Just takes pushing one button to switch between them and both are on all the time.
Now comes the really interesting part... I listened to some blues and some jazz (will listen to pop and classical tomorrow) and I really could not hear any difference between the amps on any of the music I played. I was very careful to balance the volumes very closely before I started comparing them so that it was not a factor. This is not the first time I have had something like this happen. I really think the fact that they are both single ended has more bearing on their sound than the specific tube, even though the 813 is straight triode and the 6bq5 is triode for the driver and pentode for the output. The other interesting thing is the 813 amp has magnequest fs 030 opts in it and the 6bq5 only has 125 ese's. Makes you wonder how good it would sound with a really good set of opts. That would be an interesting experiment, and one I may have to try (like with the fs 030 opts maybe?). Any way it has me thinking about making the 6bq5 my main amp and using the 813 parts for other experiments. I will be listening to a lot more music before I do that, but I never expected it to be so close right out of the box.

Edits: 06/07/17   06/07/17   06/07/17   06/07/17

Follow Ups: