Tube DIY Asylum

How hot is too hot?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Got the filaments all burning at about the same brightness on the new 813 amp by changing out one 813, so I guess the one it replaced had a filament with lower resistance and made that side burn brighter. But now it appears there is another issue. I ran the amp for several hours this morning and it just kept sounding better and better. But remembering all the resistors under the hood I decided to see how hot things were getting. After several hours of playing the top plate was too warm to keep your hand on comfortably for more than a few seconds. It has not caused any apparent problems so far, but it makes me wonder; what is the maximum temp the other components under the hood can handle longer term? I did some spot checks of the top plate with my laser thermometer, and it varied from about 110 to 125 degrees F. Definitely hotter than any other amp I have ever built, but I don't know if I have ever seen any numbers on max temps. Anyone out there have data?

Follow Ups: