Tube DIY Asylum

RE: Vintage Tubes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I think audio as a whole is dying, literally. Those of us that were into this during our college years and beyond are just getting old. Once portable CD and computer audio came around the interest in home audio tanked, so nobody under the age of 50 is really interested. Just go to an audio show.

For myself, I was never able to afford true high-end gear, but always had a decent system. But at some point I discovered DIY and built my own, and could afford the better tubes. That was about 10-15 years ago, but ya-know-what? I haven't done much since, still using what I built. I think there was a peak about 10 years ago, with Bottlehead, Dynaco Doctor, DIY Hifi supplies, Welborne, and lots of others selling kits. But I think it hit saturation.

Oh, and one thing fueled the DIY and NOS craze, and you're on it right now if you are reading this. This forum! And the others like it too. All of this info that you could only find in an esoteric magazine in the past, all on your computer.

I read on this forum, and the others, and it all sounds like old hat now. Same arguments going back and forth.

Follow Ups: