Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I want to make an EICO HF81 or Rogers clone, sans preamp

No, sorry, I didn't draw the as built schematic. I used the exact stock Eico schematic with the following changes:

1. Since I was building stereo and 12DW7 was looking scarce at the time, I used a 12AX7 and a 12AU7, such that each tube is used for both channels. I know this might make some purists blanch, but it works just fine.

2. Output transformers were salvaged from a Stromberg-Carlson basket case pentode-connected EL84 amp.

3. Power transformer was a new Hammond unit with 300v-0-300v HV and a 5v rectifier winding. B+ came out a little high. 360v as I remember as opposed to 350v for the factory amp. I have a 100ohm hum balance pot in there.

4. Because I had 5v available, I used a single 5AR4 instead of the twin 6CA4/EZ81 rectifiers.

5. Because my outputs did not have a 32ohm taps, I adjusted the feedback components and tied them to the 16ohm taps.

6. I used metal film resistors and polyprop film-and-foil coupling caps. Nothing fancy.

7. When I built the amp, I was fortunate that Ei was still in production. So I have a full set of wonderful Ei tubes in the signal chain.

Early on, I had a set of Tesla (pre-JJ) EL84. One of them gave me a light show fairly early on, so I replaced the set of EL84s with Ei. B+ is pretty high and the specified cathode resistor has the outputs running pretty hot.

I also had an early-ish Ruby (Chinese) 5AR4 in there at the beginning. It was fine for a number of years, then it gave me its own light show. Been running it with a fairly recent JJ since then. I've also tried an NOS GE and a Japanese 5AR4. I never can hear any sonic difference with rectifiers, so I just run it with the cheap JJ and keep the "mystical" rectifiers for possible trades!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I want to make an EICO HF81 or Rogers clone, sans preamp - SteveSchecter 05:12:19 08/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.