Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

A 12AX7 as splitter? bad idea, way too much gain

And lots of NFB / gain killing.

Noisy.

Esp. into EL84s where lots of gain in the driver is almost pointless. While low GM / 'grunt', is also not good.

IMO&E many classic PP EL84 power amps and integrateds can sound a lot nicer with the changes I've suggested.

It is, of course, your money, but why re-build an amp so that it will sound less good than it could?

I listen to classical music and vocal acoustic music, live, as often as possible.

Live acoustic classical and choral music is dynamically and tonally demanding.

Sensibly progressive gain structure in any system, and I do mean any system, (not just audio) is a good idea.

IMO&E the best way to get really good - excellent in fact - sound from a small PP EL84 (or EL84M) amp is to

i) get the gain structure right. A 12AX7 splitter driver violates that

ii) a nice big and stiff PSU, which requires soft recovery SS diodes.

The PSU could use i) brute force with BIG electrolytic caps and by passing OR ii) use a choke input filter into a largish film cap, then another choke, and so on with caps.

IME the large e-caps approach works just fine.

For me an amplifier has to do its job, which is getting out of the way of the music.

This is not hard to do.

Classic era PP valve amplifiers, even little PP EL84 items, have the capability of very high energy storage in their PSUs.

This always sounds better.

Refusing to go down this track - for 'vintage' sound reasons - is beyond my understanding.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 08/14/17 08/14/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.