Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: More questions regarding voltage regulator tubes

After about 3 hours of operation the top plate was very hot. At this stage I was committed to using this chassis so I drilled many holes in the top plate but it did not seem to make any difference with regards to temperature. I used a 5K 25 watt resistor and a 3.5K 25 watt resistor, both chassis mount so no problem in terms of power rating. However heat is still heat and seems to build up. There is also 4 ohm 50 watt filament bias chassis mount resistor that dissipates about 6 watts. No room for a fan really and are noisy and cheap ones fail quickly.
The problem I believe is that the way I attempted to bias the tube fitted the plate curves which do not seem to be very accurate. At -5V bias, 150 plate volts and 10ma the VR tube should not have had to work very hard. At this bias and current the tube would prefer to see 170V. So I think that the VR tube is drawing a lot of current trying to maintain 150V and consequently the series resistor is generating a lot more heat than the "average".
If my understanding is incorrect please let me know. All I know is that having removed the VR tube from the circuit and using appropriately sized resistors to get my plate voltage results in greatly reduced heat buildup.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.