Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Relays for Signal Switching?

Just wondering what experience other members have with small-signal (line level) switching through relays? I've located some small relays with gold-plated contacts, and I've been thinking how much easier it would be to use this for functions like source (input) selection, preamp output delay, etc. I do remember seeing problems with relays of this type in Phase Linear preamps back in the late '70s, but that might have been due to a bad run of relays. Is anyone else doing this in their DIY gear, or heard of problems in commercial tube equipment?

In addition to empirical results, relay specifications are a little out of my field. Below is an excerpt from the relay I'm considering. I've added an arrow at each item I think might be the most important for this application.

Note that the contacts are AgNi. Digikey publishes a guide to relay definitions in which they say contacts for low-level work should be AgPd. Is this a significant difference? All the other numbers, such as contact resistance and minimum switching voltage, seem to fall in line with the Digikey guide.

Any advice from those more knowledgeable on this subject would be appreciated.

Relay is this type (different mfg/model)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Relays for Signal Switching? - Triode_Kingdom 12:13:35 08/05/17 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.