Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: More questions regarding voltage regulator tubes

You haven't asked this question but I'll throw this out here anyway: In deciding how much current to shunt one needs to consider not only the average current draw of the load, but also its topology. IME with current source fed active shunt regulators class A differential circuits need minimal shunt current. Maybe 6mA or so. Class A single-ended circuits tend to require close to the average load current shunted unless the circuit uses CCS loads. Then 50% of ave. load current may be sufficient. These requirements for single-ended circuits do impose limitations on the use of VR tubes due to their limited ability to shunt current.

One other thought: the series resistor and the VR tube form a voltage divider. Replacing the resistor with a CCS like cascoded MOSFETs will greatly increase the performance of this arrangement.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, then speak and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More questions regarding voltage regulator tubes - JKT 16:00:56 08/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.