Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: lead inductance

If you mean counting on the component lead as a deliberate inductor, I would say that's bad engineering in an audio circuit. If you need a small inductor, then put one in. Of course sometimes component artifacts do work in your favor. And in cheap consumer gear, tricks like this were pulled all the time. Look at an AA5 radio as the king of corner cutting circuit design.

In RF circuits, the lead inductance is a design nuisance and often must be worked around. That's why it is often recommended here never to recap tuner circuits. Mica and ceramic capacitors rarely fail and just moving them in old point to point wired circuits can change RF alignment.

A lot of people also think todays high speed digital circuits are the product of superior semiconductor engineering. And that would be only partially true. But another factor is surface mount technology and FPGA's. Here, the lead length is much smaller or even microscopic in an FPGA. This means much higher clock rates can be run without the problems of component lead length and their associated inductance.

Edits: 07/21/17 07/21/17 07/21/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: lead inductance - gusser 06:37:44 07/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.