Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Go Gusser!

"You have criticized Dennis and Jeff for promoting speculative and unsubstantiated theories, and you also leave yourself open for criticism in this regard if you don't provide something a bit more concrete. Lisa Randall once said to me when I asked her a question about Loop Quantum Gravity that "It's just a theory", though she did admit she respected the author of LQG. So far you just have an interesting theory, but the ear is the final arbiter in all things audio to paraphrase Olson. And it wouldn't hurt for you to make some appeals to authority too."

Stupid analogy! I have provided evidence based on simple physics why TIM is not an issue with acoustically produced sound. You have yet to comment on the theory I have presented. All we hear is "Otala says, Otala says".

As for listening tests, first of all 6 out of 83 is hardly a convincing sampling. We also don't know the controls present or how these tests were conducted. ABT, DBT? "I'm going to play some TIM for you, tell me if you hear it?" Yes some classic audiophile tests were that unprofessional.

You also fail to separate the technical facts of TIM versus the final effects on the systems as a whole. Sure it can be simulated, but does it present an issue in real world audio reproduction? Basic atmospheric and mechanical physics says it can't.

Ok so you don't like TIM being called hogwash. Perhaps you are right in that TIM is real and can be demonstrated - with test equipment. But what is hogwash is that we can hear TIM with modern audio amplifiers designed with late 70s / early 80s technologies.

I'm tired of hearing your monotonous references to 40 year old research papers - OK, 39 years old in fact. Show me how an acoustically produced square wave rise time within the human hearing range can exceed the path delay of a typical DC coupled audio amplifier. Show me a microphone that can capture such an event even if out atmosphere would allow such a pressure wave to propagate in the fist place?

Again show me the math that supports TIM audibility! I know a test generator can do it. But what about real music, sound effects, and speech?

P.S. "If you add some TIM to a musical selection you are adding energy to the signal and thus effectively raising gain"

This is not totally correct either. You are thinking solely of harmonic distortion. IM distortion does not follow the same rules. Look up Bessel functions.

Edits: 07/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.