Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Shaft Extensions / Panel Bearings

Keystone in the US also manufactures parts like that. The fit between shaft and hole is somewhat variable, and it often gives the knob a clunky feel that I dislike. I suppose there are a couple reasons this doesn't happen directly at the shaft of a switch or pot. For one thing, the manufacturer has control over the dimensions of both the shaft and hole, so tolerances can be tighter. Also, the parts are usually designed to be greased, which cushions the effect.

When I assembled the front panels for my SETs a few years ago, I bushed the holes for push switches with press-fit Delrin inserts. That worked really well, but it requires additional time that I was hoping to avoid in this case. Maybe there's no choice. I could use a 3/8" panel bearing and bush it down to 1/4", or maybe turn down the 1/4" shaft where it passes through the standard panel bearing and add an internal plastic sleeve. Like I say, was just hoping I could buy my way out of doing this. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.