Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Yes

OK Vinnie you baited me one more time. Before I started building all my own stuff I had a standard el34 push pull running in Triode mode. I had a tube salon in Phoenix who loaned me a 300b parallel set amp. What a piece of crap in my system. Now my speakers are only 91 db efficient but a flat load line. Are you getting the point yet. No switches required did not have to listen for the decay in a certain piano passage it was just awful.

Had another amp it was a Cary. You could use el 34, 6550, or kt88's. That was over 15 years ago. Had 2 sets of el 34 tube which where pretty close. Nice midrange nice balance. The RCA 6550 where more detailed but on the lean not real dyanmics side. The kt88 where probability a little midbass heavy but overall tone and dyanmics were very good.

So let me get back to your test. I rolled those tubes in that amp alot. With that circuit the sound was repeatable again and again. Cold or hot same characteristics.

So let's bring this to a logical conclusion. If a person in a OK design tube amp can hear the differences in just the tubes in the same amp, what are the odds in completely different designs with different components and no less output transformers, that a person who can hear might detect a difference???

For the record right now I have the halogen amps for the 845 filament on a switch. The halogen in this push pull was about the same noise but more sterile sounding. Kind of like what a CD does to music. The other switches are on the phono which switch 12 different caps in the riaa section. The caps in that position make a big difference. Almost like having a tone/flavor control.

So to recap without having your amps speakers, front end, clip leads etc... The switch has no bearing. I would bet anyone who can build and hear could make those amps of yours sound different.

I guess when it is all said and done, if YOU can not hear a difference, who gives a shit about what I think??? There are some sincere replies on this thread at least trying to figure out your dilemma.

Enjoy the bread board
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes - TomWh 14:12:36 07/10/17 (1)
    • RE: Yes - vinnie2 14:33:26 07/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.