Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Has anyone else tried this experiment?

Vinnie, I don't want to put words into 91derlust's mouth, but I think I agree with what he's saying.

Here's how I perceived it. I have build several well-engineered but very diverse amps, all safely within design centers, i.e., conservatively aimed at the most linear operating points. I recently listened to three of them in comparison as you have, and I can understand your take-away that they sound the same. In my case, one of the three had just slightly looser bass -- and it happened to be the one with the cheapest OPTs. The other two, a PP and a SE beam tube in triode mode, were sonically identical all the way to the deepest bass. I listened to treble, mid and bass, over and over, and after many recordings could not point out any differences with those two amps.

That said, one amp (the SE beam tube in triode) consistently engages me and has my toes tapping, where the other just doesn't. But the PP is my go-to amp offering hours of listenability just like the other. As 91derlust implies, there is "something" about that SE amp that physiologically affects me and draws out my inner rhythm, whereas the PP other doesn't. (FYI, I'm actually partial to PP amps.)

Some day, I'll scope them out to match power output and compare the square waves and sine waves. My guess is that I will see some difference that comparative listening isn't picking up. That may give a clue to an unheard difference that set my toes to tappin'.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.