Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: update on web search

I'm not surprised by your findings. There have been quite a few listening tests reported, where people have been unable to distinguish between quite dissimilar amplifiers, provided that neither was overrun sufficiently to cause significant distortion or clipping, and provided the listener wasn't informed as to which they were listening to. It is a testament to your honesty in this regard, that you still didn't hear differences even though (presumably) you knew which you were listening to at a given moment!

One comment about your setup: If I understand correctly, you have an 8 ohm resistor wired permanently across the output of each amplifier, meaning that when the speaker is switched in as well, the amplifier is driving a 4 ohm load (assuming 8 ohm speaker). This may be lower than ideal for many tube amplifiers. I'm not suggesting this would make the SET and PP sound the same when they otherwise wouldn't, I'm just commenting that that aspect of your switching is perhaps less than ideal.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.