Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Initial A/B test between PP and SE 6bq5 amps

The only possible clog in the drain is through the switch setup I put together, and I can't imagine what that would be. The output of each of two amps go to the switch and then one button determines which amp is feed to the speakers. Both amps stay on the whole time. There are 10 ohm/30 watt resistors across the output terminals of each amp to make sure they remain under a load during switching, but they are identical for each amp. I compare two amps at a time, and change out only one at a time so I have a reference point from the last test. Last but not least I have read in several different places on the internet that say the biggest difference would be between pp & se, not between different tube types.
Have you ever done a similar a/b test with two se amps with different output tubes when both amps were on full time and you could switch between them with a push of one button? So far no one has chimed in that they have tried this and got different results than I did. I wish someone would, because I think it is the only valid way to test them for similar sound.

Edits: 06/28/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.