Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: non-inverting preamp w/schematic ...

I appreciate the concept that what comes out of a preamp is exactly what goes in. IMO, that should include the input-output phase relationship. The two-tube circuit you posted is a variation of the "Blue Velvet" preamp, and it's a design I've been considering and analyzing for a long time. However, if additional system gain isn't needed, a cathode follower will provide much greater bandwidth, lower distortion and more substantial driving ability. A follower done right will also be sonically transparent, a characteristic that's difficult to achieve using common cathode stages. A zero-gain preamp has another potential advantage. The less gain the preamp exhibits, the more clockwise the input potentiometer will be set in normal operation. That means less carbon track in series with the signal path and a higher resistance (less signal current) to ground. All this adds up to less invasive control and a greater likelihood signal integrity won't be compromised.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.