Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: final update ....

Vinnie I was thinking about your quest last night. There are so many variables known and unknown. If I remember correctly you could hear the difference between the coffin white resistors and mills in one of your builds. This is a good sign. The age over 12k thing is, let's say, not relevant.

The mystery to me is using the same amp and just rolling tubes can cause big differences. You have two different amps with different tubes including dht which have there own sound. And you are not hearing a difference. Are you using same brand resistors caps etc. Maybe they could mess the end result by blocking potential??? Do you have a analogue front end that you could play around with.

I was thinking if can afford interstage transformers, to grab a couple for your push pull project. This will kill at least 3 birds with one stone. You lose the plate resistor, coupling cap and some say the best way to split the signal for push pull. Build a simple 2 stage and listen. You can 3 stage etc latter as you keep building and listening.

A clue on one thing dht do so well at is listen to a chorus listen for each individual voice as well as the harmony. It really brings home there are various singers and combined create harmony. Never hear anyone talk about that instead the black background and placement which I never have heard in a live venue. I am not trying to influence your subjective preferences just maybe help you in hearing some sonic differences.

Just finished up with a permanent placement of switched 12 cap panel per channel on my let say extremely large LCR transformer coupled phono stage. I had it external but the sound was different with each brand of cap and depending on which lp, I had different preferences. So with no board of directors or bean counter to appease, let's take up some more real estate. These caps are not even in series and yet sound quite different in some cases. So the moral of the story is everything makes a difference.

Just thought of another tip for comparison listening. Say you know a certain passage on various albums. Could be to hot or cold. Maybe a drum solo with rim shots or vocal with real body. Then just listen closely for your examples you know
Inside and out.

Vinnie you are in the best position to build the very best. You do not have to show a profit or make it small etc. You can mix and match and start over with no dead lines etc. Build and enjoy, the soul of the music is not over 12k.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: final update .... - TomWh 11:02:30 06/10/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.