Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

fast switching

One of my earliest projects was a 'taste tester' line stage where I could quickly switch between various tube types. It was an interesting project and the details are in the link. However the results were what I think you need to be aware of. Basically, your amp preference may depend on the music you are playing.

And, no, I do not have a cunning solution to your stated problem.

ray

_

So the big question is whether you can actually hear differences between the various tubes. The answer is yes, which is not surprising. When I first started to get music to appear at the loudspeakers I quickly shuffled between the various tubes and immediately noticed differences. Gain levels vary, of course, so I needed to adjust the volume to do real comparisons. Actually, I found it works best to resist the temptation to flick around between the tube types. Certain tubes seemed to suit certain music and I seemed to be consistent in my tastes. If I put this in whisky terms, if it's really cold, wet and miserable outside, I prefer the peaty Islay types like Lagluvin and Laphroag. Otherwise if it's just plain wet, then Dalwhinnie works for me. If it's dry, then I prefer Ezra Brooks bourbon. If it's after dinner, then Pierre Ferrand cognac is the tipple of choice. Variation according to your needs is wonderful.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • fast switching - RayP 00:40:09 06/07/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.