Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

update

Got my psu up and running again. It had a bad small solen 1uf cap that was being used as a trimmer to adjust the voltage out of the rectifier and it must have been shorting out. Still have a small buzz, but will worry about it later.
I was finally able to get both channels up and running, and then I did the right channel as triode connected and the left channel as pentode connected and did some comparisons between them using a mono cd and switching back and forth between the channels with the volume knobs. The most obvious difference was the expected much lower gain with the triode channel. Very noticeable indeed. The other thing that was most apparent to me and somewhat of a surprise was that pentode channel seemed to sound more lively, the triode side sounding a tad dull by comparison. Now there may be more at work here than just the different modes, but that is the only difference I am aware of at the moment. I must say the little bugger is pretty impressive with both channels in pentode mode. I think I am going to have to play with it a while and see just how far I can go with it. It is such a simple little amp, and it sounds so good. Only complaint so far is a bit of shrillness on the high end and I do not know for sure what is causing that. Will have to do some AB testing against my other two amps as I tweak it to see what I hear.
Anyway, if you want a great little SE amp that is not too expensive and easy to build, you might want to give it a try.

Edits: 06/05/17 06/05/17 06/05/17 06/05/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • update - vinnie2 15:05:19 06/05/17 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.