Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Cheap DC Filament PS

I bought a few cheap switchers through eBay recently to see how they might work for filament supplies. The 12V models are a no-brainer; just turn the adjustment to 12.6 VDC output, and you're done. The 5V / 4A unit I bought didn't have enough adjustment, so I opened it up.

Looking at the parts, the adjustment pot is 200 ohms. The pot is in series with a 4.7K SMT chip resistor, 0603 size. I assume this is typical of most units. After some experimentation, I replaced the resistor with a leaded 3.3K 1/8W. I was able to solder it between the pot and another pad away from the original resistor, so it was a perfect fit down against the board. The supply now adjusts from roughly 5.6-6.4 VDC. As a final test, I connected the output to a 1.5 ohm resistor bank and let it run for an hour or so. The case wall used as a heatsink was only lukewarm after that time, so I think the units will be OK for this use.

I really dislike the cheap Chinese case these are in, so I'll make new ones if I put any of these into actual use. Will also replace the electrolytics with name-brand 105° caps from Mouser or DigiKey. That should improve reliability.

Now I just have to decide whether to use these in new builds, or to stick with the linear approach. A transformer/rectifier and LM338 costs more and dissipates more heat (and takes up more space), but it's hard to beat for long term use. I have LM317s working great in test gear more than 25 years old. It's not clear whether these little switchers can be expected to survive so long.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Cheap DC Filament PS - Triode_Kingdom 18:38:55 06/03/17 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.