Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Advice on Substituting Western Electric 412A for 6X4?

The 6X4 draws 600 mA. of heater current and is capable of supplying up to 70 mA. of B+ current.

Thank you for (very politely) correcting my combination typo and careless reading of a data sheet. I've edited my post to reflect the correct heater current of the 6X4.

Changing the rectifier type will alter the B+ rail voltage, which can lead to unpredictable (including damage) results.

The Sylvania manual (link below) indicates a 22 V voltage drop for the 6X4. But, I can't find voltage drop for the 412A. Maybe you or others know?

IMO, change for its own sake is highly suspect.

I should be more circumspect. I try. To be honest, the only times that I've managed to better (I think?) a designer's/builder's original tube specification have come when that specification has rejected a potentially better alternative based on its high price and/or low availability. When a change from spec happens in those circumstances, I think that everyone's motive makes sense from his own perspective.

Thanks, Eli!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Advice on Substituting Western Electric 412A for 6X4? - Jim Hodgson 05:18:25 05/27/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.