Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

John Broskie and Cathode Followers

Speaking of John Broskie, I wonder if he dislikes choke-loaded followers for some reason. I searched through his blogs for an hour or so today and discovered he has never done a write-up on a choke loaded CF. There are several places he delves into theoretical cathode chokes (zero ohm DCR) in explaining follower theory, but no place he discusses a practical, brick and mortar amplifier built using this technique. The closest he comes to even acknowledging this method is in a brief, off-the-cuff discussion 10 years ago of basic follower topologies. In that article, he states the following:

"...the cathode resistor can be replaced by a choke, with relatively high DCR, which will serve as a cathode resistor in DC terms, but function as a constant-current source in AC terms."

Broskie goes on to describe the one unique advantage to this approach, namely that "a choke will allow output voltage swings in excess of the [static] grid-to-cathode voltage." That's a critically important concept, but one that's easily overlooked because he neglects to flesh out its underlying value. Specifically, this characteristic of the choke's operation allows the cathode signal to swing negative, greatly increasing the signal voltage and current available to drive the load, and it does so without the need for a negative power supply.

I'm actually rather surprised by Broskie's failure to further explore this technique. He otherwise seems to be an avid proponent of cathode followers, and he has devoted considerable space to their pursuit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • John Broskie and Cathode Followers - Triode_Kingdom 17:01:57 05/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.