Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: It won't equal a choke...

"If that's the criteria you're using to qualify the value of audio equipment, I'd say you might be in the wrong forum. There's a lot more research and online activity in the solid-state genre, and it's much simpler to build. I build with tubes; you can use whatever parts make you happy. :)"

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of choosing to build with tubes; that's what I do also, in general. The only thing I'm puzzling about is the notion that silicon devices in some way "contaminate" the music. My point, in this regard, is that the sound source one is commonly using (a CD) has been produced using silicon all the way from the microphones to the output of the CD player, and so why should one additional silicon device make any appreciable difference to the level of "contamination" of the music?

Perhaps I am taking words like yours, or other similar ones I have seen elsewhere, a bit too literally. As I say, I have no problem at all with understanding the concept that one wants to build using just tubes, and no silicon. But I was puzzled by the "contamination" justification, which seemed to overlook the vast number of silicon devices that the music signal had already passed through.

Anyway, carry on with the thread, which I find quite interesting, and don't let me divert it down these side alleys!

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It won't equal a choke... - cpotl 08:21:28 05/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.