Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Hot swapping tubes

"Let's try looking at this another way;
1. You hot switch and you might get in trouble
2. You don't hot switch and you can't get in trouble
Do the name "no brainer" strike you familiar?"

If someone is a "worrying" type, or if they lack experience of what one can get away with, then hot swapping and the like is probably not for them. I've been hot swapping tubes, and worse, for more than 50 years, and have a pretty good sense for what is going to be OK and what isn't. I've never lost a tube to hot swapping in all those years. The risks are so small, and so inconsequential (I wouldn't do it with an expensive and treasured tube or one that is irreplaceable) that even if I did lose at the rate of about one in fifty years or so, it would not be a big deal. And on the other hand, it is sometimes slightly more convenient to swap while hot, so why not? The risks and the payoffs are both small, and both are more or less lost in the noise when compared to the more momentous of life's events. No big deal either way.

But not, I would agree, if someone is the type who would worry too much about it.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.