Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Custom 6sn7 preamp runs too hot

Pretty amp I love wooden chassis.

Looking at schematic the valves appear to be dissipating around 4.5W per channel, 9W collectively. A 6SN7GTB has a absolute maximum combined plate dissipation of 7.5W so you are well within those ratings collectively across 3 x 6SN7. This assumes the valves are operating as per schematic this can be confirmed with a DVM.

But as Tre & TK suggested the combined heat generated from plate, Kathode & power supply dropping resistors and with no ventilation holes on top plate, heat ramps up quickly.

I would try running the amp with the bottom on & also removed & elevated for comparison. Measure the top & internal temperature with a IR laser gun. This will tell what the inside chassis temp is running at. I suspect those PS caps are failing due to excessive internal temperature (they are located close to top plate)also note that aluminum top looks to be no more than 1-2mm thick, this heats up quickly. Remember there are 2 ways heat can be removed air convection (fan) or radiation (reflection)

A small fan run above the amp top will certainly help.

Johno

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Custom 6sn7 preamp runs too hot - Johno 17:42:10 05/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.