Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

You can't use a C-17X choke in a Dynaco ST-70

You can't use a Triad C-17X choke in a Dynaco ST-70 with a stock type chassis. Inside the Dyncao ST-70 chassis, you only have about 1.75 inches of height. The C-17X is about 2.25 inches in height. The C-17X is also to large fit the mount hole spacing for the stock C354 Dynaco choke. The Triad C-24X IS a good substitute for the original Dynaco choke.

Many Dynaco ST-70 users who have never taken off the bottom cover of their amp might be surprised to find a tan colored waxy substance on the inside of the bottom cover directly under the choke. Over the years this "filler material" can and will melt out of those original chokes. When people "restore" an original Dynaco ST-70 they usually replace the quad cap, the selenium rectifier and possibly the driver board. They should also REPLACE THE CHOKE. That choke was cheaply made. The Triad C-24X is a much better made choke. I have used many Triad C-24X chokes in the past 11 years. To my knowledge, not one has failed ...

Bob Latino

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.