Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

"To prove harmony with algebra"

Alexander Pushkin, "Mozart and Salieri". One of my favorite audiophile citations.

Dielectric absorption is only one source of capacitor distortion. There are several others. One is capacitance change with frequency, and one more is capacitance change with voltage. Distortion due to capacitance change may be quite serious - any change in capacitance causes changes of voltage across the capacitor. Yet one more is capacitors acting as mechanotransducers, which I posted on a while ago. This was about capacitors acting as low quality electrostatic speakers and low quality condenser microphones at the same time.

Maybe capacitor distortion has been studied, and we just don't know? However, it seems more like there is no interest to this subject in the field of electronic engineering. We'll have to do it ourselves if we want to know. But even if we find that capacitor distortion is low, who is going to be convinced? I know from experience that some capacitors sound better than other, and avoiding capacitors in the signal path is a good practice. People whose judgment I trust preferred the sound of transformer- or direct-coupled amplifiers to that of capacitor-coupled amplifiers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "To prove harmony with algebra" - sser2 22:52:31 05/08/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.