Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Definitely very weird. Can you finish the schematic?

When I first saw this years ago like everyone else I thought cathode follower input and i was quickly schooled.

The input signal is from grid to cathode and the bias is set by the current through the 18 ohm resistor. (which isn't much bias) now the 47K resistor and the CCS are both in series with the plate and simply become the plate load for the gain stage.

The series pair of the CCS and the 47K resistor form a voltage divider for DC to bias the following tube and for AC the Z of the CCS is so much higher than 47K that it has little effect on the AC behavior.

It is a pretty fun circuit to think about and sifting through it with kirchoff and ohm at my side was a fun education. It reminded me of going through the old WE schematics that were traditional designs drawn in a non-traditional way making them look like a funky new approach. Who puts triodes on their sides where filaments can sag and doesn't understand that B+ is higher than ground so it needs to be at the top of the schematic? I'm just glad they do read left to right or I would be totally out of luck. For me seeing the same schematic or circuit drawn in different ways usually helps me understand something new about a circuit.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Definitely very weird. Can you finish the schematic? - dave slagle 04:44:59 05/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.