Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: For what it's worth

Yes, I really like the 6P3S-E, and I have a large stash. However, in initial tests some time back, my prototype amplifier with ~400V on the anodes performed better with a 6L6GB. Output power was about 20% greater, and distortion was much lower, about 1/3 as much at output levels below 5W. This might be due to the anode voltage of the amplifier (most users operate the 6P3S-E well above 400V), or maybe the low-Z output transformers (~3.8K P-P). Whatever the reason, the 6L6 types were clearly superior in this application. This is what led to my question regarding screen bias. At the time of the tests, the screens were operating through a dropping resistor at roughly 360V. There wasn't any damage to the tubes that I could detect, but I don't think it's a good idea to operate this far above the rating. I have uses for the 6P3S-Es later, but for now, I just wanted some idea of how others are using the 6L6.

Edits: 05/03/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For what it's worth - Triode_Kingdom 20:37:01 05/02/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.